Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Give the girl a spoon

We all know the saying....

"If you give a man a fish he'll eat for a day, teach him how to fish he'll eat for a lifetime."


I don't want to admit it, but my little baby girl is growing up and with that comes a need to give her more chances to be a "big girl". As much as I would love to have her be my little baby for ever I also really want to help her grow and flourish and learn and do all that she can.

Enter spoon.


Hannah is now at the point where if she has a bowl of soup she wants to feed the whole thing to herself all by herself! And she actually does a pretty good job! Some makes it on the bib and its hard to clean the last bits out of the bowl, so she will ask for some help but for the most part she does it all! She is a big girl!

How did we get to this point?

I let Hannah hold her spoon from really early on
I let Hannah try to get food into her mouth for months now
I helped guide her in holding her spoon, scooping it up and getting it into mouth without pouring it back out, over and over and over and over again and then some more...
I learnt that I need to not be starving myself when we have meals she can be using a fork or a spoon because I was too tempted to feed her quickly
I learnt to give ourselves lots of time (3 times the amount I would normally) to eat before naps or bed so I wouldn't be tempted to take the spoon back and hurry up the eating
I learnt to be patient and enjoy seeing her pride in herself when she could feed herself

But seriously what happened to my little baby girl?

No comments:

Post a Comment